Thursday, May 8, 2014

roots, leaves and legumes - the new sticks and twigs

I remember, when I was a little girl, I used to laugh at TV advertisements for Grape Nuts Cereal. There was this author named Euell Gibbons who most famously said, "Did you know you can eat a pine tree? Most parts are edible." I couldn't find that ad online but here's another classic. Whenever I cook something that is full of really healthy ingredients, I can hear an echo of Euell Gibbons saying, "Its naturally delicious taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts."

That's what I thought about a recipe in the Whitewater Cooks with Friends Cookbook for Quinoa, Chickpea and Roasted Yam Salad. Doesn't that just sound too nutritious to possibly taste good? WRONG! If Euell Gibbons was still alive, I am sure he would be extolling the virtues of this recipe.

AND it is really delicious.

I won't copy a published recipe into my blog, so you'll have to go buy the book. Buy it! This is just one of dozens of scrumptious, and coincidentally healthy, recipes. Much better than a pine tree, and not even vaguely reminiscent of wild hickory nuts.

Gather sticks, twigs and berries. Make something yummy. Remember Euell.

No comments:

Post a Comment